Matters of family law are among the most stressful and emotional experiences an individual or family can endure. Whether you are going through a divorce, trying to get spousal support, or fighting for custody of your children, the legal process can take an immense emotional, physical, and financial toll on everyone involved.
At The Law Office of Jennifer J. McCaskill, we are keenly aware of the delicate nature of family law cases, particularly those involving divorce and child custody. Our compassionate Ocean County divorce & family lawyers can help you get through this challenging time in the least painful, most economical manner possible. Contact us today for a confidential consultation about your case.
What You Can Expect From Our Firm
With nearly two decades of experience handling all matters of family law, The Law Office of Jennifer J. McCaskill is prepared to handle any case and situation that comes our way, no matter how complex, unusual, or contentious.
We will take the time to understand your needs, goals, and any special concerns to ensure that our legal strategy aligns with your desired outcome. We believe that open lines of communication are essential to a favorable experience, for both of us. As such, you will be able to easily reach us with questions and concerns, and your family lawyer will regularly update you on the progress of your case.
At the end of the day, our goal is to resolve your family law issue in the quickest, least expensive, and most pleasant manner possible. To do this, we will thoroughly review the details of your case, assess your needs and goals, determine the most appropriate legal strategy for moving forward, and ensure that you fully understand your rights and options. Our legal staff encourages questions and communication at every step of the process, as this eliminates uncertainty and helps to ensure that we are all working toward the same goal.
At The Law Office of Jennifer J. McCaskill, it is always our goal to settle these matters outside of court, we are willing and very able to go to trial if it becomes necessary. Our Ocean County divorce and family lawyers will work tirelessly to protect your rights, best interests, and wellbeing.
Our Ocean County, NJ Divorce and Family Law Services
In addition to traditional divorce, we represent clients in civil unions and domestic partnerships, and in other family law-related situations, including adoption, and domestic abuse. Our Ocean County family law team has helped countless clients in cases involving:
- Divorce—In New Jersey, divorce can be based on fault or no-fault, and the process may be contested or uncontested. Multiple factors determine how long, complicated, and expensive the process will be. But having a divorce lawyer is wise, no matter the circumstances of your split.
- Mediation—A low conflict method of ending a marriage outside of the courtroom, mediation is typically quicker, less expensive, and less stressful than other methods of divorce.
- Child custody—When determining child custody, NJ courts base their decision on what is in the best interests of the child. One parent may have sole custody, both parents may share custody 50/50, or the custody arrangement may be some variation thereof. This arrangement can apply to both physical and legal custody.
- Child support—In New Jersey, children are entitled to be financially supported by both parents.
- Spousal support—Not all divorces involve spousal support. Multiple factors go into determining whether spousal support will be paid, what amount will be paid, and for how long. These include the needs of the recipient, the payor’s income and financial status, and the length and duration of the marriage.
- Division of assets—New Jersey is an equitable distribution state when it comes to marital property. That does not necessarily mean 50/50. Noneconomic contributions, such as a parent who stays home to raise children, are also taken into consideration.
- Child relocation—In New Jersey, both parents must legally agree to the custodial parent’s out-of-state move.
- Post-judgment matters—If you or your former spouse have experienced a major life change—including job loss or getting remarried—since your divorce, you may have to modify court orders, such as child custody or support.
When family matters rise to the level of requiring legal assistance, your entire life can begin to feel like it’s been turned upside down. But remember, nothing changes if nothing changes. Contact an Ocean County family lawyer today to take the first step toward reclaiming your life.
Why Hire a Family Law Attorney in Ocean County, NJ
At The Law Office of Jennifer J. McCaskill, we know how challenging and emotional it can be to resolve any issue involving a family member, not just divorce. Family-related legal issues are as complicated as families themselves.
Emotions are bound to run high, and it is a well-known fact that making important decisions while in a highly emotional state is never a good idea. This is one of many reasons why it is so important to have an experienced family lawyer by your side throughout the process. An Ocean County divorce lawyer will be able to guide you through these difficult decisions in a way that protects your rights and best interests.
When Problems Arise
There is a common misconception that certain matters of family law, particularly divorce, can be handled without legal assistance. Do-it-yourself divorces can be purchased online for a small fee, promising a quick, stress-free divorce at a fraction of the cost of hiring a lawyer. What companies selling these cheap divorces don’t tell you, however, is how stressful and expensive things get when unexpected issues arise. And couples run into unforeseen problems in even the most amicable, straightforward splits.
Help with Important Decisions
You will have to make important decisions, regardless of the type of family law issue you are facing. For example, if you’re getting divorced, you must decide whether to use “fault” or “no-fault” grounds as the basis for your divorce. In New Jersey, couples may obtain a no-fault divorce by citing irreconcilable differences. In fault divorces, on the other hand, the divorce is based on a specific cause, such as abuse or adultery. Alternatively, you can use a legal separation of 18 months or more as grounds for divorce.
There are distinct differences between these processes, which can impact the distribution of marital property, and the physical and legal custody of your children. An Ocean County divorce attorney can help you determine how to proceed.
Contact an Ocean County Family Lawyer Today
If you need legal help with a matter of family law, the skilled team at The Law Office of Jennifer J. McCaskill can help. Our experienced, knowledgeable family & divorce lawyers have been helping individuals and families for more than 18 years. In addition to our in-house professionals, we have developed meaningful connections with local law enforcement, medical professionals, therapists, financial advisers, and accountants in Ocean County and the surrounding areas.
We understand the emotional complexities and challenges of legal issues involving family matters. Before moving forward with any legal strategy, we will ensure that you fully understand your rights and options and remain by your side throughout the entire process. Don’t go through this stressful time without trusted counsel. Contact The Law Office of Jennifer J. McCaskill today for a confidential consultation about your case.